Road trips can be a lot of fun when they are properly planned. They are a great way to bond with your family and explore new places. We know that for most people, traveling safely and comfortably is of the highest priority. For your next road trip, don’t forget about one of the foremost safety concerns for your vehicle: its tires. The tires support the vehicle load, ensure responsive braking and maintain the direction of travel. To guarantee your vehicle’s tires are functioning adequately, they should be inspected by an experienced professional on a regular basis. Pre-Travel Car Tire Maintenance
For optimum tire performance, tires must have accurate and proper:
Car Tire Air pressure
Car Tire tread depth
Car Tire balance
Car Tire wheel alignment
Preventative Tire Maintenance Ensures Vehicle Safety
Before you hit the road and set off on your next adventure, there are important items you need to take care of regarding your tires.
1. It is a good idea to have a car tire rotation before leaving for a road trip. Rotating your tires regularly promotes even tread wear and improved tire performance.
2. Check the tire pressure when going on a long trip or when carrying extra load. Driving with improper tire inflation pressure is dangerous and can cause tire damage, unsafe vehicle handling and poor fuel economy.
3. Your vehicle has a maximum weight recommendation that can be found in your owner’s manual. Your tires also have a maximum load capacity stamped on its sidewall. Obey these limits because an excessive load makes it harder on tires and affects vehicle performance and handling. The heavier the vehicle, the worse your fuel economy will be, costing you more in the long run.
4. Tires should be more than 2/32-inch tread depth. Use a thread depth gauge or do the penny test to determine the tread depth of your tires. If tires are worn or have uneven tire wear, they must be replaced before you go on your journey.
5. Take a minute to closely inspect splits, bumps, and bulges which may cause tire failure.
Make a tire check a regular part of your car maintenance routine. It is very important to get your vehicle’s tires inspected before embarking on long drives. A flat tire or other problems can be an inconvenience when you are far from home. Ensuring the safety of you and your passengers is important for your safety and for the safety of other people on the road. Checking your tires is a vital part of making sure you are driving a safe vehicle. Visit a mechanic to have your vehicle properly examined, have your tires inspected and make sure all issues are resolved before you start your next road trip adventures.